Thursday, August 25, 2011

Careful on the Interpretation

 

     I’ve seen a number of comments recently on the earthquake in Virginia (between DC and Richmond, but most news sites say it was in DC), and of course almost as quickly as the ‘did you feel that’ comments went through, it was immediately followed by the ‘God was making a statement to our leaders in DC’ comments.  Fortunately, no one appears to be seriously injured, but there are some buildings that will need attention.  My title is aimed more at the ‘God’s making a statement’. 

     I’ve explained my view in the previous post who want to use God and what political party Christians should vote for and the dangers in doing that.  Now I guess the cute thing to do is say God’s trying to get people’s attention through natural disasters.  To me that’s even more dangerous than trying to say how God would vote in American politics.  At the very least, it’s easy to poke fun at that sentiment.  Of course, that fits in with the ‘vengeful God’ concept a lot of people have.  I’m not going to get into a long-winded discussion about that, I’ll save that for when I’m more introspective.  I will end this with a short humorous story I read in a Reader’s Digest many years ago.

‘A lawyer was making his opening statement in a civil trial.  At one point during his statement, a small earthquake shook the courthouse.  Being quick witted, the lawyer turned to the judge and said “at least someone agrees with me, your honor’.  The judge smiled, and replied, ‘earthquakes come from below, don’t they?”’

No comments:

Post a Comment