Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I love lemonade

lemonade

Many times, adversity gives us an opportunity for growth. Recent events in my household have provided a healthy dose of adversity. The number of operating vehicles in my family has shrunk from two to one, as our family van is having mechanical issues. The one remaining working vehicle cannot safely hold the entire family, so going anywhere as a group requires significant logistical planning. We also ‘lost’ a computer (hard drive issues) so our school and personal computer schedules required adjustment as well. Hopefully these adjustments are temporary, but resolving them requires money, which a family on a budget does not have a lot of. However, I have been able to pull out a couple of positives from this situation and would like to give you my thoughts.

First, I discovered I don’t need to be on the computer as much as I was before the other computer went down. Of course, we justify our time on the computer, but is what I’m doing really important? When you have to justify what you’re doing and when you’re doing it, not only to yourself but to others around you, the reality of whether or not you’re making the best use of your time gives you clarity in what your priorities are.

Think about how much of your computer time is spent doing something ‘mindless’. Whether it’s flipping through emails, Facebook, blogs (am I cutting off my own nose to spite my face?), or playing games. There are other uses of your time that can exercise your body and/or mind (reading a book, taking a walk, you get the idea). The end result is you will be energized and ultimately feel better about yourself and others.

Second, I have ‘rediscovered’ reading.  Those who knew me growing up can remember how much I enjoyed reading (slipping a reading book inside of a school textbook – who needs to learn?).  Life, and other entertainments (to include computers) took my reading time away. I can read things on a computer as well as a book, but there is something different, and even magical, when you sit and read a book (either physical or on a Nook/Kindle).

I think part of it is the ‘quiet’ that comes when you are reading. The stillness allows your soul to be quiet. This is often missing when you are clicking or scanning through emails, web pages, or blogs. Also the colors involved in web pages are designed to catch the eye, which stimulates the brain. The simple, calming colors of paper and ink in books give a calming effect.

The bottom line for all this? Just as the old adage says ‘when life gives you lemons, make lemonade’, when life jolts you out of your comfort zone, use it as an opportunity for positive change in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment