Monday, October 14, 2013

End of the Garden Year 2013

 

     It actually happened around the 4th of October (that’s when the frost hit the plants), but I haven’t taken the time to sit down and assess the gardening this year.  But, I figure I can take the time now, after all the plants were pulled, the ground tilled (yes, I’m in at least good enough condition to till – with lots of breaks) and I can start thinking about next year.

     As far as the plants grown from seeds, they were overall a success.  We were able to get green beans, peas, and carrots to use as fresh vegetables or to can.  We still have some pints of canned green beans and there are still some peas in the freezer.  We didn’t get quite as much as I might have hoped or wanted, but it was better than getting nothing.

     The plants did not do quite as well.  The green peppers just did not ever get going.  I think it was probably their placement, as they didn’t get quite enough sun to truly produce fruit.  The weather may have also played a factor.  The tomatoes weren’t too bad, we were able to get some for salads, but I didn’t get them caged or staked and the two plants we had fell over.  They still continued to produce fruit after falling over, but I didn’t get them off the plant before the frost hit.  Lost some, but not too many. 

     The cucumbers did OK, we got a couple that we could use in salads, but not enough to consider pickling.  The zucchini did not do very well.  We only got one or two small fruit, and there were quite a few others that spoiled on the plant.  We didn’t get any squash either.  Again, that might have been placement, as I don’t think I gave the plants enough room to spread out.

     So, how am I going to fix this for next year?  I’m certainly not planning to cut down on plants, so the only choice in the matter was to expand.  I decided to mark out where I wanted the garden for next year and ‘busted’ the sod.  I didn’t have enough time or energy to rake the area out, but I’m hoping that will make it easier come next spring.  I’ll also try and have more assistance when I actually start preparing the area.

     The bottom line for this year:  It was a definite learning experience, and there were enough good results for me not to be discouraged.  Next spring I intend to be back at it with an even bigger plot to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment