Sunday, January 9, 2011

My own comments on the Arizona assassination

I am sure that many people have seen all the news about the recent assassination (I do believe that term applies here) attempt on the Congresswoman from Arizona.  It made me hearken back to the last time I could remember something like this happening.  I couldn't believe that to the best of my knowledge it's been since the attempt on the late President Ronald Reagan in March 1981.  I saw a special (History channel or the like) about Reagan's presidency and the assassination attempt.  One of the most striking elements was that the Speaker of the House at that time, Tip O'Neill (a Democrat from Massachusetts) went to visit Reagan while he was recovering and had a short conversation that went something like: 'we don't agree politically, but we want what is best for you personally'.

It makes me wonder.  Is it possible for people today to be able to have that kind of mentality?  It's not compartmentalization or anything like that, but a simple 'hey, I know you're doing what you think is right, and although we may not agree that what you're doing is the best method, we're both going for the same thing and that is more important than being correct.'

Those in the 'talking class' (political commentators, news people and the like) are talking about the rhetoric being too 'toxic'.  Apparently they've forgotten the Presidential assassinations of Lincoln, McKinley, and to a lesser extent Garfield were politically motivated.  This country has a long history of politics leading to violence and I don't think this incident is going to change that.  I guess the bottom line question for me is:  unfortunately this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but have we as a country changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment