Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recent reflections

 

Given recent events, I suppose I could take some time and comment on them and maybe even provide some witty commentary.  But I’m just too selfish, or self-centered at this point, so I’m going to write about my continuing recovery from my heart attack.  I’m still recovering physically, so where I am at now isn’t ‘normal’ for me yet (at least I hope).  There have been some recurring themes and ideas these past few weeks (it’s been almost four weeks), so here we go.

In order to better take care of myself and improving overall nutrition, I had to adjust what I eat.  Cholesterol, fats, and sodium must be taken into account and scrupulously watched.  When you have to do this, or if you just want to do this (it’s not a bad idea you know), one tool that is very useful is the nutrition labels on foods you buy.  At the same time, this tool is becoming somewhat of a thorn in my side.  A bane of my existence if you will.  There have been a number of times when I’ve had to stop myself and adjust what I would eat because of what the nutrition label said the food contained.  Either the sodium was too high, or something else was out of whack.  Now of course some of the biggest culprits are those items euphemistically labeled as ‘convenience foods’.  I tell you what, it’s certainly not a convenience to me to get my entire daily allowance of sodium and fat in a single sitting (I may be exaggerating, but only by half at best).

As I am still recovering, I am still having to remind myself that I am not yet whole.  My activities are still somewhat limited.  There have been a few occasions where I have had to stop what I was doing and sit down because I could tell the exertion was ‘too much’.  There is an element of frustration, as I feel like my body has ‘betrayed me’.  There are things I was able to do not that long ago, but I can’t at the moment because a ‘twinge’ or dizzy spell will come on and I need to stop.  I certainly hope this will go away soon, and it’s difficult to have to wait for that time to arrive.

As a final note, I have been personally overwhelmed to see and hear the amount of prayers, well wishes, and expressions of concern these past few weeks by friends and family.  There are times when you wonder whether your presence is noticed or has an effect on others.  This showed me I do have an effect and presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment