Friday, February 13, 2009

pizza night recipe

It's pizza night here, our family tradition, so I thought I'd post my homemade crust and sauce recipe (such as it is), and let you know how it turns out.

crust:
6 C flour (freshly ground whole wheat
1/3 C vital wheat gluten
2 C hot water
2 1/2 t. yeast
2 t sugar
2 t salt
1/2 C extra light olive oil

dissolve yeast in water. Then mix in salt and sugar. Add oil. Mix in half (3 C) of flour and vital wheat gluten. Once mixed, add rest of flour. Then knead. Let rest for 20 minutes.

sauce:
1 6 oz can tomato paste
fill can 1 1/2 times with water
(salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, pepper, and fennel - this is what I put in and I can't approximate since I do it by look and dump, but the basics is what I listed minus fennel).

mix tomato paste and water together until desired consistency (sometimes more, sometimes less). Add other ingredients and sample.

Now: roll out crust onto pizza stones (this recipe makes three). Pre-bake at 400 for 7 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then top with sauce, cheese, and other toppings of your choice. Put back in oven for 10 minutes or until done (cheese is brown and bubbly, pepperoni is extra crispy, whatever you use as a guide).

Let cool for 3-5 minutes. Then slice and serve.

I'll post my no yeast version some other time.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE: Crust turned out alright, somewhat soft, yet crispy (depending on thickness). The kids thought it tasted great, and they ate more than usual (it may have been the different toppings we used this week). So, it's a success!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit biased I admit. But I think it's really good. But you missed the part about the WIFE doing the sampling!

    ReplyDelete