Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bible reading and thoughts

Things here have been very hectic the past couple of days, with different members of the family being sick with colds (not particularly nasty, but the congestion and coughing have definitely wreaked havoc). So today, we spent time doing individual Bible reading. After a set period of time, we each talked about some verses that caused us to pause, or really spoke to us. My children had some wonderful insights as they were doing their reading, and some excellent discussion ensued.

There were two or three separate passages that got me thinking. One that really made me think was Lamentations 4:17 (NASB): 'Yet our eyes failed: Looking for help was useless. In our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save.' The whole book of Lamentations talks to how Judah was overthrown by the Babylonians because they turned away from the Lord, and were looking for their salvation in the things of this world. But reading this verse in particular showed me how we can look continually for some organization, whether it be a political entity, or some other organization, and we are going to be disappointed because ultimately it will not be able to save us. We need to look to the Lord, and let go of this world as much as we possibly can.

If I sat down, and did some more in depth studying, I'm sure I could come up with a much longer writing showing other wonderful truths from this verse and this book. But I think I'll leave it at this for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment