Saturday, March 21, 2009

Why cooking?

Since I've posted two recipe/cooking type of posts, I suppose I should mention why I like to cook (somewhat):

I grew up in a house where my father was the better cook (at least in the main food area - my mother made some excellent desserts).  He worked for a while as a cook in a hospital, then later as a prep cook in the home office of Embers Restaurants (it was in the midwest, primarily in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area).  He cooked all sorts of things, from pancakes to turkeys (he made the stuffing for our thanksgiving turkey).  He was never one to shy away from cooking, no matter what it was.  I guess from that I learned what fun it could be to cook.  I took the junior high and senior high cooking classes, and generally had fun (I learned what happens when you cut pie crust dough too much, although that wasn't in the lesson).  At the time, I looked at it as learning how to care for myself, as I didn't know what was in store for me.  These days, my wonderful wife does most of the cooking.  I get a few things, pizza, pancakes, and scrambled eggs.  I still enjoy the cooking, and enjoy those opportunities when I get to cook together with my wife.  However, I enjoy as much if not more when wonderful food is made by others in the house.

1 comment:

  1. I still think you make the *best* scrambled eggs in the entire world. Your oldest daughter is learning well. And your pizza sauce is so much better now since you started experimenting with it. I am a blessed woman to be married to a man who cooks.

    ReplyDelete