Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Maybe I'm missing something

A lot of the people I've been talking to recently have commented on buying or owning guns and ammunition.  It's really something amazing to see how many people have gone out and purchased a gun or ammunition for a gun they already own (or tried to since some who I've talked to say the shelves are almost bare).  

I must admit that, to a certain degree, the whole concept of having a personal weapon in the house is beyond me.  I understand the whole concept of owning a gun, and having protection against home invaders or something similar.  Yet at the same time, since I didn't grow up with guns in the house, the idea is foreign to me.  I'm just not sure what I would do with a gun in the house.

Part of it may be the whole thing about being in the military and being trained to use guns to kill other people.  As my brother once put it 'I was taught to hunt the two-legged animals'.  It really does make you think and take the responsibility of gun ownership much more seriously.  

I do agree with the 2nd ammendment sentiment that the right to bear arms has the concept of the power of our government residing with the people, not some small elite group of people.  There are times I wonder, however, if we've gone so far that we no longer understand what the concept was behind this important ammendment.  I'll leave that concept alone for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment