Thursday, July 25, 2013

Continuing down the garden path

 

Well, I’ve given up trying to comment on current events.  I’ve determined I’m either going to say something to offend everyone (shock the room as it were), or work myself into such a frenzy that it’s akin to wrestling a pig (we know how that goes).  So, I’m going to turn back to my continuing ‘experiment’ of the garden.

Right now, the peas appear to be on their last legs (most recent picking was only about a dozen or so pods), so I think we got all we’re going to get from them.  We were able to use them in some salads as well as to a couple of main dishes (stir fry).  We’ve got 3-4 meals worth frozen for later.  All in all, a decent showing.

What is really coming into play now are the green beans.  Here is a picture of the second and most recent picking (not a lot but looks like about 2 quarts worth if I can believe the line on the bowl):

100_7806

So, what to do with those?  Can them, of course.  We picked up a pressure cooker/canner and some pint jars.  We got 4 pints (3 full and one 1/2 to 3/4 full) so far, and should be able to get some more as we go on. They definitely have potential.

What about the rest?  The carrots are continuing on, but I’m not completely sure how long I need to leave them in the ground – I remember leaving them till about labor day but that was when we were planting around memorial day.  These were planted at least a month earlier.  Tomatoes?  We seem to be getting some, and will have at least enough to accompany a meal, but not much else.  I think the pepper plants are just for show, as they don’t seem to be doing anything other than existing.  The cucumbers are starting to produce as well as the zucchini (why do I keep hearing the theme from ‘Jaws’ every time I mention zucchini?).

Of course I will give a final account once everything is in or done, but as of right now things are going at least as well if not better than I expected for a first year garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment